- 1 iRidium BYOD
- 1.1 What is it?
- 1.2 Advantages
- 1.3 Variants of use
- 1.4 General principles of BYOD object
- 1.5 Structure of BYOD object
- 1.6 How to Set BYOD
- 1.7 Creating projects
- 1.8 Setting an object
- 1.9 Subsystem of smart project giving
- 1.10 Inviting users
- 1.11 Administering a project
- 1.12 System work
- 1.13 Licensing
In summer 2018 a new type of cloud object - “BYOD object” became available to all users of iRidium pro.
What is it?
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) is a technology that allows a user to use his personal mobile device to work with corporate resources. This technology is mostly used in companies where employees have to use their personal mobile devices for professional purposes. In Smart home sphere this technology can be successfully used to give guest access to an object. For example, when relatives come to a user and they need access to certain control functions of the house. The standard procedure in this case is to get in touch with the integrator. But it is complicated and tekes time. These difficulties can be solved with the help of BYOD technology. All guests have to do is to install the app and scan a QR-code. After getting data from a QR code the app downloads the required project that has guest access to the object.
This concept is successfully used in the hospitality sphere. When a guest checks in, a receptionist sets the dates of checking in and checking out and gives a generated QR-code to the guest. After scanning the code a guest has access to devices in his hotel room. Access is limited in time by the dates of cheking in and checking out. Thus, after a guests checks out he has no access to devices.
- It's simple to use. There is no need to register or authorize in the system. All that has to be done is to download the app and scan a QR-code from it.
- Security. A user has access to those functions, that an integrator set in a guest project.
- Adjusting for a device. The system determines the resolution of a user's device and gives a project with corresponding parameters.
- Different user rights. BYOD system can include several groups of projects with different functions (guest projects, projects of the object owner, projects of the object personnel)
- Simple device replacement. If a user loses his smart phone, he can download a control project on a new device on his own. There is no need to authorize or download a project manually.
Variants of use
BYOD is not limited by the hospitality sphere. The technology can be used in any automation object. For example,
- Home automation. BYOD provides guest access with a limits in time and functions. Guests do not get access to important subsystems of an object.
- Renting apartments. There is a difficulty with providing temporary access to rented apartments. BYOD solves this problem. An apartment owner can provide access to the tenant for the time of the rent only. When the renting period is over, the project stops working.
- Hotels. The technology gives guests access to devices in a hotel room.
- Meeting rooms. At the start of a meeting in an automated meeting room, participants get access to controlling light, climate, AV devices, etc. after scanning a QR-code.
General principles of BYOD object
BYOD object is a cloud entity that consists of
- Configurations - a set of projects for a number of devices with different resolutions. If we use an example of a hotel, configuration is a set of projects to control rooms of suite type. And each project is created for a definite type of panels (iPad Air, iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy s9, etc.)
- Projects - regular iRidium pro projects
- Users - there are 2 types of users: adimistrators and receptionists. Administrators can create and edit configurations. Receptionists can check in guests and edit the time of their stay
- Guests - hotel guests who will use BYOD projects
Structure of BYOD object
How to Set BYOD
Setting any BYOD object consists of the following steps:
- Creating and setting projects
- Setting a cloud object
- Setting room configurations
- Registering guests
Creating a BYOD project starts with creating automation objects. A project for BYOD is in no way different from a regular i3 pro project.
Setting an object
After crating projects an integrator enters his account at iridiummobile.net, creates a cloud object and uploads to it all projects
After it a license with BYOD addon is purchased for the project. After licensing an object a tag can be assigned in the interface. In this case a tag is a category name. In the future projects with the same tag will be grouped. Select a default project in each category. When a user's devices asks a project from tha cloud the system will select a project that suits the resolution of a user's panel. If no project is suitable the system will give the default object. Each category must have one default object.
Subsystem of smart project giving
When using BYOD technology, you have to remember that you do not know anything about a user's device beforehand. It can be a smart phone or a tablet with different resolutions. To solve this task a special smart system is used to give projects. When a user's device asks a project, it tells the cloud its type (a smart phone or a tablet) and its resolution. The cloud starts looking for a project, suitable for these parameters. If there is such a project, a user will download it. If there is no suitable project, a user will download a default project. As a result, an integrator has to think about most likely devices and create projects for these resolutions. When projects are uploaded to the cloud, indicate the resolution of each project and select one default project.
After setting categories, invite the administrator and receptionists. To do it, go to "users" section and invite a new user. Enter user's login and select his role (administrator or receptionists) in the window that appears. One and the same user and differernt users can have these roles.
After it integrator's work is done.
Administering a project
After bacis settings of the object, the administrator creates rooms on the basis of configurations. To do it he goes to https://byod.iridiummobile.net and authorizes. After authorization the administrator can see BYOD objects available to him and their categories.
After selecting a category the administrator sees a button to create a room.
After the button is clicked, the system asks a room name. And after it a room is created.
The administrator can set the standard time to check in and to check out. To do it, click Settings button and set time.
It is required for the licensing system. When a license is generated for a guest, the start of license work is the check-in time, and the end is the check-out time. After rooms are created, work with the system can be started.
When a guest checks in, a receptionist must book a room for him. To do it he goes to BYOD account at https://byod.iridiummobile.net and authorizes. After authorization a receptionist sees the interface to check-in and administer guests.
To check-in a new guest, click “Register client” button and enter check-in and check-out dates, room name, a guest's e-mail and click “Register”.
After it the system books a room for selected dates and a record about it appears in the main interface.
Now a receptionist can send a QR-code to a user's e-mail or print it or show it to a user on the screen.
The project will be available to a guest only for the period of his stay. On the check-out date and time the system will close access to the project and it will nor be available to a guest. A receptionist can edit check-in and check-out dates and send registered users push-notifications.
iRidium pro license with BYOD addon can be purchased in My Account at iridiummobile.net/my-account/calc/
BYOD technology is an addon to a regular iRidium pro license. The price of BYOD addon depends on the number of rooms that will be created in a BYOD object.